Chip Sealing in Fort Worth
With over 20 years of experience, AP Blacktop Service is the solution for all your chip sealing needs in Fort Worth. Since opening our doors in 1997, we’ve prided ourselves in offering professionalism and superior customer service at all times, and striving to accomplish any project in a timely and budget-friendly manner.
Screened and HomeAdvisor approved, we are accomplished in residential or commercial paving, and are leaders in the local chip sealing industry.
When you’re looking for reliable paving services that come satisfaction guaranteed, pick up the phone and call AP Blacktop Service.
The Chip Seal Difference
What’s the difference between chip seal and regular black top? It’s not that extreme but means a lot for your budget and maintenance plans.
While classic black top lasts longer, that’s simply because it has an extra ingredient added to it, which is sand. If you go for a walk in Fort Worth and find some asphalt that’s a few years old and some chip seal, you will be hard pressed to see the difference in appearance.
Sand is what makes asphalt appear so black and shiny, but that wears off in time.
Chip seal is stone in an asphalt emulsion and is less prone to cracking, because the stones it’s made up of shift to accommodate the elements.
Classic black top may give you up-front curb appeal, but eventually you’ll be looking at the exact same thing as chip seal, but a little bit worse for wear.
Believe it or not, chip seal is being used more and more in road construction, with thousands of roadways a year using this technique and allowing those who commission them to save money.
Our Chip Seal Process
At Asphalt Paving Co., we take what we do very seriously. That is why we go to such great lengths to make sure that all our clients—either commercial or residential—have the opportunity to take advantage of our high-quality service. With that in mind, here is our detailed five-step process to successful chip sealing:
- The first step of our process involves asphalt being mixed with about 30% water. From there, this emulsified mixture is then applied to the road using a special spray truck. As soon as the liquid asphalt meets the road surface, the water begins to evaporate.
- Immediately after spraying the asphalt, a layer of crushed gravel is applied by a spreader. In general, the gravel, or chips as it is sometimes referred to as, will have a maximum size of 3/8 of an inch.
- After that, the gravel is compacted and embedded into the asphalt by rubber-tired rollers. However, even with the high-pressure rolling, some gravel will not become embedded in the asphalt.
- The fourth step of the process involves curing. While hard to say for certain, the new chip seal surface can require up to two days to cure properly. Hot and dry weather helps speed up this process because all the remaining water in the emulsion evaporates and the asphalt hardens. Traffic is then able to pass over this surface at a reduced speed during the curing process.
- After curing, the loose gravel is swept off the surface to make sure that your pavement, driveway or parking lot is finished. This may take several sweepings.
Installing Chip Seal Driveways
Let’s face it, no one wants to deal with maintenance demands of a blacktop driveway. Fighting against the oxidization from the sun and rain as they play their part in deteriorating the life of an asphalt driveway is an uphill battle. No matter how vigilant you are with sealcoating and other preventative maintenance techniques, eventually it’s going to deteriorate, and you’ll have to spring for a brand-new driveway since you don’t want badly cracked asphalt to decrease your Fort Worth property’s curb appeal.
When you finally decide that you would rather do without the maintenance a blacktop driveway demands, install a chip seal driveway courtesy of AP Blacktop Service. We are pleased to offer superior, durable and affordable alternatives to the conventional blacktop driveways and chip sealed driveways consistently rank among our most popular. Whether you are a residential or commercial customer, there is no question that you are going to love your chip sealed driveway when you choose AP Blacktop Service to install it.
These types of driveways continue to be one of the most popular products our company offers thanks to their natural durable properties. They require no sealing and will very rarely need to be repaired, making it one of the best options for property owners who are tired of routine upkeep.
So, how do our paving experts go about installing a chip sealed driveway in Fort Worth? Follow the steps we take below.
- Step 1. First, we work with our clients to select the color and style of gravel chips that will be installed as the top layer. Once we have figured out how you want your new driveway to look, we will proceed in gathering all the necessary materials and making sure that we have enough of it to get the job done.
- Step 2. Once we have your desired materials, we will roll out a firmly compacted dirt roadbed for the driveway using a heavy machinery roller. After this is complete, we install a thick layer of medium crush gravel along the roadbed of the driveway to serve as a base for the chip seal process. If your property already has an asphalt or concrete driveway installed, we can skip this step as it will be able to serve as the base layer.
- Step 3. We spray the desired area with a liquid asphalt.
- Step 4. We dump gravel chips onto the liquid asphalt while it’s still hot and adhesive. Using an industrial rake to make sure the chips are approximately one inch thick, we then spread the gravel working forwards so that we are only walking on the tarred area that has already been covered with chips.
- Step 5. We roll the chips into the tar coating with an industrial roller machine. Once the chips have been pressed into the liquid asphalt, we let the driveway set for at least 48 hours. After those 48 hours are up, you’ll have a brand-new, beautiful driveway that offers superior durability and strength for years to come.
Why Use Chip Seal?
At Asphalt Paving Co. we know that chip seal is not something our residential or commercial clients think or talk about very frequently, and honestly, we get that. With so many moving parts required to operate a business successfully, not to mention the day-to-day chores that come with running a home, it is hardly a surprise that there isn’t much time in the day left to think about something as niche as chip seal.
However, the simple fact of the matter is that if you want to make sure that your Fort Worth home or business’s pavement or driveway surface is maintained at the highest standard for as long as possible, then you need to contact us at Asphalt Paving Co and allow us to do what we do best.
There are many reasons why chip seal can elongate the lifespan of your commercial or residential property. Six of the most obvious are outlined below:
- To keep water from penetrating the road structure on paved surfaces.
- To fill and seal cracks and damaged surfaces of old pavement.
- To provide an anti-glare surface during wet weather and an increased reflective surface for night driving.
- To seal the pavement surface, thereby minimizing the effects of aging.
- To provide a highly skid-resistant surface that will prove particularly useful on wet pavements.
- The cost of chip seal is relatively affordable and is only about 15-20% the cost of total pavement overlays.
The AP Blacktop Promise
Having worked with chip seal for many years now, we are confident in providing you with the best results around. When you hire our team to install chip seal you’ll:
- Get low-cost paving
- Get low-maintenance paving
- Eliminate the need to plan for cracks
- Increase safety with skid resistance
- Prevent water intrusion
Chip seal is truly the durable option and at AP Blacktop Service, we know how to install it properly the first time.
Your Paving Experts
Skilled in construction, resurfacing, overlays, repairs, sealcoating, grading, clearing, driveway tear-outs and more, the AP Blacktop Service team has a wide range of services we offer to our Fort Worth clients.
We’ve worked on hundreds of driveways, parking lots, sport courts and roadways, and we are able to promise you that when we construct or repair your chip seal paving project, it will be made to last.
Our customers appreciate our advanced methods and investment in transparent communication. When you work with us, you will never have to worry about hidden fees or corners being cut.
Whether this is your first paving project or one of many, we can promise the AP Blacktop Service difference will be obvious from start to finish. Up to date on industry knowledge as well as building code regulations, our licensed and bonded crew will not only put you at ease, but will have you calling us again when it comes time for the next job.
If you would like to know more about us or have any questions about our paving services, please give us a call or send us an email. We can’t wait to hear from you!